Thursday, September 15, 2011



What a difference a year makes. Last summer we were driving through the area looking at the devastation from a deadly tornado that passed through the area, when we came upon this swarm of honeybees. Truthfully, I thought it looked frightening and somewhat grotesque. So we carefully rolled down the car window, snapped the picture and drove away. Fast forward a year and now I find this picture incredibly sad. I have a feeling this swarm was probably displaced by the tornado and had no where to go. Not only that, but I now know I could have approached this swarm without a bee suit without a sting as all the bees energy were channeled into protecting and keeping the queen the right body temp. And if I had my smoker, I could have coaxed them into a container and taken them home to live in a new hive. What a lot I have learned this year.

No comments: