Saturday, November 22, 2008

This is not how I wanted my Dobos Torte story to end. I wanted to be able to show you a gorgeous 11 layer torte on this cake plate. Thursday evening I made my frosting and------it was a flop. I frosted the layers and had to throw the whole thing away. In between a lot of tears---make that a lot of sobs(I was home alone) I tasted chunks of the messy cake and it did taste good but the frosting never thickened and ruined the cake. To add insult to injury, our dog pulled the cake out of the garbage and ate it. But I am determined to succeed. After consulting some Hungarian cousins and coworkers, I think the problem was in the cooking of the frosting. My cousin Kim told me it takes patience to wait for it to thicken. I vow----there will be a Dobos Torte on my Christmas Day dinner table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor dear! My heart goes out to you.....I have struggled myself with complicated frostings! Hang in there and when you are making it tell your mother to come through your thoughts and actions!!!! I swear that when I had major complictions making my grandmothers flaky hungarian cookies, I became more successful after I acknowledged Grandma Fulop's spirit presence in the kitchen with me. Hey, it is worth a try!!!