Wednesday, December 2, 2009


I am honored to be able to share hometowns with one of(if not, THE) greatest Jazz Musician of all time and this past year we have been celebrating the anniversary of what would have been Art Tatum's 100th year. In honor of the event, various artists have painted between 30-40 pianos and placed them around the city----venues such as the Toledo Museum of Art, the University of Toledo, the Walleye Arena AND this one in the TMA Glass Pavillion. Although you can't really see them in the pic, this piano is covered in a mosaic of glass tiles. Very appropro, wouldn't you say! But----here is the best part-----you can actually sit down and PLAY the pianos. So, I am going to practice a simple song and go back to the Glass Pavillion and play it. Did I ever mention amy piano recital given when I was 8 years old? My brother and I were playing a duet and both forgot the song---maybe in fright---but who can forget the look mortification in their mother's eyes! So you see---this little song will be my first public performance since that disaster. Wish me luck!!

No comments: