Thursday, April 29, 2010


This pie was intended to be made for Easter, but unforeseen events changed my plans. I was originally going to make a strawberry pie and this lemon pie. The weather turned wonderfully warm, Adam had to leave on Sunday because of a new job and the bad news--my mother in law broke her hip. So we turned our dinner into a brunch, opened the doors to the warm weather and had strawberry pie for dessert. The crust has been sitting in the freezer and I finally tried this recipe for Lemon Meringue pie. It was so easy and so good, I will not hesitate to make it again---maybe next Easter! I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com and will share it with you!

Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie---Emilie S from Allrecipes.com

9 inch baked pie crust

1 cup white sugar

2 TBL all purpose flour

3 TBL cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups water

2 lemons---juiced and zested

2 TBL butter

4 egg yolks--beaten

4 egg whites

6 TBL white sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Stir in water, lemon juice and zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently till mixture comes to boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup hot mixture and then whisk egg mix into saucepan mixture. Bring to boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly till thick. Remove from heat and pour into pie crust.

To make meringue---whip whites till foamy. Add sugar gradually and continue to whip till stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over filling, sealing edges. Bake for 10 mins till meringue golden brown.

Easy-----and delicious!! And this is what I learned from Easter. I think on my next day when I am looking for something to do(when is that?) I will make some crusts and have them in the freezer to await the summer berries and fruit!

No comments: