Sunday, July 4, 2010

One of the best 4th of July's we have known was spent several years ago in Boston--kind of an unexpected pleasure. We spent the actual holiday walking the Freedom Trail with stops like Old North Church(the scene of the tower signalling "one if by land and two if by sea"), Paul Revere's house and the Old Meeting House where the Tea Party seeds were planted. The day started with a parade that had units from all military regiments in the Revolutionary War--including Continental Army, private militia and Redcoats. The parade route ended where the original Declaration of Independance was first read to the masses and as in 1776---someone read it to all of us followed by cheering. I bought a walking tour for our Ipods and was instructed on the taped recording to go to the Old Meeting House and say to the receptionist "this meeting tonite can do no more to save the country"---a quote by John Adams and she would give me 2 free tickets. I did as instructed and she looked at me and said "huh". I fumbled and said " I said I wanted to buy 2 tickets". I later posted on a travel site about that and the creator of the taped program contacted me and apologized! We had planned to go see the Boston Pops on the banks of the Charles River with fireworks but we were so tired we watched it from our hotel room and could hear the rumblings of the fireworks!! I plan to do it all again someday-----soon!



















No comments: