Saturday, August 27, 2011





"Well", said Pooh---"what I like best"------and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.-Winnie the Pooh

We have Honey. Not in this picture, which is a new box that has honeycombs under construction but in the lower boxes--Honey! We opened the hive today and it was a very pleasant, peaceful experience. It was a sunny, calm day---around noon. A lot of the bees were out foraging and those in the hive were very calm. We used the smoker but I really don't think we needed it. We wore our bee suits---and I really-------don't think I would go without it. And you thought I was going to say I didn't need it. I probably didn't but I feel a lot more confident wearing it and don't trust what I would do if the bees start flying in my face without my netting. I feel very maternal watching the bees drink the sugar water as I pour it into the feeder. They gather and drink as if at a fountain and I am sure if I could see their faces, they would look grateful. Well, maybe not.






No comments: