Friday, July 27, 2012

Day off

Took a well earned day off and spent the morning at Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan! We wandered through historical buildings-some dating back to 17th century America and England. I used to find the revolutionary era of America to be a romantic time when I was little-I think it was because the woman could wear long dresses and my favorite childhood book was Johnny Tremain. That thought came to a screeching halt the first time I visited this house on a field trip. The lady of the house was washing dishes and there were lots of flies buzzing around and it dawned on me---no running water, electricity or screens! The "family" in each historical house prepared and ate an authentic period dinner. This family was eating homemade bread, "gratitude" pudding, beef pie and pickled vegetables and berry cobbler. The Georgia sharecropper family in the second picture , however, was frying a pork chop and bacon and had peach cobbler in the oven----and it smelled delicious.

No comments: