Saturday, July 19, 2008

Erie Street Farmers Market Bounty


Following in my Mom's footsteps, I went to the Farmer's Market EARLY!Sorry Dan for making you get up! But look what we found. Indiana Melons, Local grown red cabbage for steaming, new potatoes for salad, radishes for salad, green beans for steaming and also spinach. Not sure what the apricots and peaches will be used for yet. The blackberries are grown by a high school classmate of mine and will go into a Blueberry/Blackberry pie and we are trying something new tonite--Swiss Chard cooked in olive oil and garlic. And we also bought organic beef from a local producer. But the BEST part-----the hydroponic producer of veggies and the organic meat producer will be at the market YEAR ROUND!! With just a small amount of effort, we can use local foods 12 months of the year. Oh, and Dan wanted to put his empty wallet in the picture but I wouldn't let him destroy my "still life of produce".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, you bring me home. My mom always went early to the farmers market chaufered my none other then her oldest daughter, me.

Infact, I remember running into Aunt Irene on those ventures.

Glad to see that you are carrying on with tradition Michele. Wish I was there to join in. Making me homesick, jealous too! LOL