Monday, September 29, 2008

A Walk in the Woods





I went for a long walk today. That may sound unremarkable but I will tell you the rest of the story. I have talked about the death of my Mom but 2 weeks before she died I started having chest pains and went to my doctor. I thought it was stress related but after an abnormal EKG and abnormal stress test, I scheduled a cardiac cath for the next day, came home and recieved the call that my Mom died. I felt like a rubber band ready to snap. I went ahead with the cardiac cath and it showed NO blockage and Strong heart. Slowly I am getting myself back to normal and today the cardiologist told me to resume normal activity. So I went for a walk. It was more like a stroll because I took my camera and noticed every little thing. The fat little squirrel who was "squirreling away" nuts, the massive tree trunk that looked like a Dobsonian telescope on it's side, the pretty red berry lying in the dry leaves. And the destruction of the Emerald Ash borer. You can see the tracks they make under the bark. Dan is pointing to the D shaped hole they make to get into the tree. It felt so good to be in the woods. We used the trail at Northwood Nature Trails---a wonderful mile long loop through woods and fields with prettyness at every turn.

2 comments:

Diane in Nashville said...

Northwood Park is very dear to our hearts too! It was my dad's favorite place to walk and still my mom's favorite place but she now runs. Go mom! :) You continue to take care of yourself!

Diane in Nashville said...

Aunt Michele, you continue to take care of yourself is what I mean. I think of you very often. I feel like we are able to stay "in touch" through your blog and I also LOVE your writing!