Saturday, August 8, 2009


I would like to take a moment to give a plug your local produce growers. A lot of time and effort goes into those beautiful peppers, corn, tomatoes and everything else at your Farmer's Market. Not only that, but it is a constant struggle for them to compete with the big conglomerate farms. And it really is a no-brainer. Luscious, juicy, tasty tomato OR pulpy, cardboard tasting red round thing that transports well. Our strategy this summer is to preserve as much local produce as time allows and enjoy in the winter. Dan and I have a small chest freezer in our basement that, in spite of it's small size, holds an amazing amount of casseroles and produce---enough for 2 people and company! I am the first to admit that preserving is tiring and can burn you out really fast------so I just do a small batch every weekend. This weekend it is another peck of green beans-----if Dan and I snip together and then blanch and freeze, it takes about 1.5 hours--max. And that includes time that I am doing other things too. Like----if I sneak away and leave Dan snipping or time spent waiting for the water to boil. But the end result is very satisfying!

No comments: