Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Meaning to Empty Nesters


If you have read my previous posts, we have been watching and guarding a duck nest of 11 eggs right off our front porch. We roped off the sidewalk and let the weeds grow so as not to disturb. We admired the tender persistance of Mother Duck--often at the sacrifice of herself. We counted the days and after 29 days, we watched for signs of ducklings. But the unthinkable happened. On the evening of the 29th day, while we were asleep--a raccoon broke open half the eggs and let a massacre of broken eggs scattered around the front flower bed. Mama duck abandoned the remaining eggs and we finally had to discard them. It was so disappointing.
I haven't blogged for awhile. My Mom has been ill. She developed blood clots in her lungs and has been hospitalized--so I have been visiting as much as possible. The highlight of my day today was an email I received from our niece, Diane Anderson who noticed the absence of my blog!! Thank you Diane for the nice note!!

No comments: